A little about me...

My name is Mariya Koroleva and I'm a member of the U.S. Olympic Duet for the sport of synchronized swimming. I've been swimming for 17 years (yikes!) and I've been on the national team for 9. I graduated from Stanford University in 2013 and am almost finished getting my masters degree in sport management from the University of San Francisco. I love chocolate, cross stitching, scented candles and sunsets. Follow me on my journey to my second Olympics in Rio de Janeiro!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Inspiration

A few weeks ago Mary and I went to Chicago to participate in the Olympic Ambassador Program which was put on by the U.S. Olympic Committee. We talked a lot about how to prepare mentally for the Games and what to expect from the experience. I learned a lot from the program and I had a good time! One of the things that was brought up in the discussions was the fact that going to the Olympics is about so much more than just you. It's about representing your entire nation, your sport, your friends and family, everyone who has ever supported or inspired you. It's so cool to think that I am a part of something that is so much bigger than myself. I am not going to the Olympics just for myself, and not by myself. I'm going to have the entire U.S. delegation with me along the way, and an entire country's support behind me. I love that feeling. It reminds me of the end of the "Amazing Awaits" poem that says "with a nation behind us, and a world in front of us, and within us all, amazing awaits". Just that one saying inspires me to put in the work every day, even when times get tough. It's the feeling of responsibility to be a good ambassador for my sport and for my nation that drives me to push myself and make myself the best athlete I can be at the Olympics.

There are many sources of inspiration for athletes, and another one of mine is the young girls who participate in synchro. Last weekend I went to the Indy Synchro water show and I had the best time. It's awesome to see younger girls who do synchro because they love it so much and have so much passion for the sport. This generation of swimmers is the future of synchronized swimming and when I watch these girls I know that synchro in the U.S. has a bright future. The girls from Indy Synchro has been so supportive to our team this past year and it's great to have them around. They inspire me to be a good role model for them and for young swimmers all over the country. What inspires you as an athlete? As a person?

Mary and I have a very busy month ahead of us. We just went to New York City for a press event (which I will write about soon), next week we go to California for an exhibition and then a few days after we go to Spain and Switzerland for two competitions. It's going to be a whirlwind of a month so it's really time to get focused and put all distractions aside.

Love, MKor


My teammates and I with some of the Indy Synchro girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment